Friday, August 19, 2011

weaning

A week ago today (aug 12) I started weaning Lyds. It was a hard decision to make but because of the importance of me getting on medicine soon to treat my RA I need to go ahead and do it now.

My original plan was to start dropping 1 feeding a month starting around 9 months. That way by the time she was 1 or so, she'd be weaned. Now I'm dropping 1 feeding a week so that she'll be weaned by 9 1/2 months.

The thought of weaning really made me sad. I was fine with the thought of it after a year but earlier was just too much. It wasn't what I wanted. Lots of things that have been happening lately aren't the way I wanted. I really struggle with being out of control. It makes me feel weak and I don't like that. Patrick kindly reminded me that seeing our weakness is good because it reminds us that we need Jesus.
I'm comforted that the Lord knows all my days. In fact He wrote them out for me.
Psalm 139:16b in your book were written, every one of them,the days that were formed for me,when as yet there was none of them.

It is also a good encouragement to see that He is strong when I am weak and that His grace truly is sufficient.
2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.


So how is the weaning process going??
So far I've dropped the dinner feed (She eats four times: breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dream feed). So now that dinner feeding is with a bottle. I'm going to drop the lunch one today. She has taken the bottle fine as long as it was still breast milk. I didn't have a ton of that stored so I am now having to give her formula. She refuses to take formula. Some people have suggested to try it in a sippy cup. I'm going to try that today. Hopefully it works. So far when she refuses to take the bottle I just let her skip that meal. I mean I know the girl isn't starving. Have you seen her? I don't know what we'll do if she still wont take it out of a sippy cup. Maybe I'll call the pediatrician and see what she thinks about whole milk?

3 comments:

  1. I am so feeling you on things not going how you want them. Thanks for the reminder to focus on letting Christ be in control and not me- His plans are so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so hard. I felt like weaning was hard even after 1 year!! Have you looked into any dietary options that might help you avoid medicine (even for a while) that would force weaning? You could also ask Lynn S. about the homemade formula she made for her kiddos... and/or potentially IBC moms could donate some milk for your girlie too... formula smells pretty vile, lol I can't say I blame her for not wanting it-- though I'm sure she'll get used to it. Thousands of other babies are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. another suggestion is to mix formula with BM, and gradually lessen the ratio.

    ReplyDelete